Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Meandering around Munich

I had an overnight train from Monaco to Munich, and it was not fun, though it almost was a million times worse.  I was first assigned in the same compartment with 4 young Spanish guys who wanted to party all night, and for some reason the German train conductor didn't quite get why I wanted to switch and kept telling me there were no other spots.  Finally I got through that I would only be comfortable in a compartment with another woman, and he went to see what he could do.  Luckily there was an old lady in first class who didn't like traveling by herself, as first class typically are assigned an entire compartment to themselves, since she had been stolen from on a couple different overnight trips.  She was delighted to have a young lady join her in the compartment.  So it all worked out in the end.  It was still super rough trying to get any sleep, and when my train arrived in Munich at 6:30am I was already dead tired.  But, as I had an entire day of sightseeing ahead, I freshened up in the train station bathroom and set out.

This first post will just be pictures of things around the city, like cool buildings or Christmas Market pictures.  I went inside a couple museums, but those will be covered in the next post.  The buildings in Germany were great.  One of these pictures is actually a city car park, but it looked super cool and super German.  People were probably wondering why a dumb tourist was taking a picture of their car park, but oh well.  There were a lot of old churches too, and they were all super close to each other and had fun clocks.  It was cool listening to them all chime the hour at the same time.  The Glockenspiel in the Marienplatz wasn't working, so I didn't get to see the clockwork animation at the hour, but it was still cool looking nonetheless.

German food was good!  I had wienerschnitzel, and bratwurst, and potatoes, and pretzels!  The pretzels were a huge deal and were everywhere!
























No comments:

Post a Comment